Whenever life hands you lemon...make a good home made lemon cake!
There is no particular reason why I choose this as my first recipe to share. It's an easy cake to bake and an established favourite with my family.
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cups of sugar (granulated or icing)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tspn vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour (multipurpose)
- 1/2 tspn baking soda
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- lemon zest from 6-8 lemons
- lemon juice from 5-6 lemons
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Grease a cake pan with butter (base and sides) and put to one side.
- 3Soften the butter and mix with the sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy (you may use an electric mixer here)
- 4Add the eggs (one at a time) whilst still stirring. (Usually, I shift to stirring with a wooden spoon here.)
- 5Sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda
- 6Keep stirring the whole mixture until the flour has blended evenly with the butter, sugar and eggs, and then add the lemon zest slowly to it.
- 7Whilst still stirring, add the lemon juice and milk.
- 8Make sure than the mixture has no lumps in it and pour into the pans.
- 9Place in the oven for 45min-1hr. Check after 45min by inserting a skewer in the middle of the cake.If the skewer comes back clean, the cake is ready. If there is some mixture stuck to it, give it about 10 more minutes before checking again.