Over this past weekend we celebrated my daughter's birthday, and she is obsessed with everything minnie mouse which is well partially our fault I mean before she was even born my husband decorated her room with everything and anything that he could find minnie mouse. We weren't having many people over 6 adults, my daughter and little nephew. So I didn't want to have a bakery make this lavish minnie mouse cake that with no doubt would cost a pretty penny, so having been a pastry chef for several year I decided to make my own minnie mouse cake, well cupcakes it be exact I mean I really didn't want to have all this extra cake in the house either.
Her favorite what else chocolate of course, now I could have just taken the easy way out and ran down the street picked up a box of chocolate cake mix and been done, but why make it easy I had my in laws to impress!
Tip: If you're just making this recipe because you're craving something sweet and prefer chocolate frosting add 4 tablespoons, and 1 tablespoon of oil to the frosting.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 small pkg fondant
- edible pearls
- 1 small container mini oreos, middle removed
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt together.
- 3Cream butter and sugar together in large mixing bowl using the whisk attachment until soft and you have no chunks of butter.
- 4Add your flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt to the bowl, mix until just combined.
- 5Break eggs into a small bowl and add to your mixing bowl one at a time, add in vanilla. Do not over mix
- 6Add in your milk, water and oil and mix until combined
- 7Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners, take a 1/4 measuring cup or an ice cream scooper and add your cake batter to the pan.
- 8Bake 20 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 9Frosting: Sift powdered sugar; place butter in medium sized mixing bowl and cream until there are no more chunks.
- 10Add in your powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and whisk to everything is incorporated together.
- 11If necessary stir in additional milk 1 tsp at a time.
- 12I used pink food coloring to dye my frosting pink.
- 13Roll out fondant to 1/4 inch thick and cut 2 small triangles and a small strip out; take a dab of water and place the 2 triangles in the middle of the strip and wrap the strip around them creating a bow.
- 14Frost cupcake and sprinkle the edible pearls on them, take the oreos to make the ears and place the bow in between them