This recipe is totally from old Indian Lucknow kitchen. Do try this recipe out because it tastes similar like rasmallai from a meethai shop. And the method of making it with cheese gives it its true taste! On the top of it addition of saffron gives it appetizing aroma!
- Fresh Milk ~ 2 litre
- Vinegar or Lemon Juice ~ 2 table spoons
- Sugar ~ 1 3/4 cup
- Water ~ 1 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder ~ 1/2 tea spoon
- Cornflour ~ 1 1/2 table spoon + Water ~ 2 table spoons
- Cream ~ 2 table spoon
- Kevda Water ~ 1 tablespoon
- Saffron ~ 4 - 5 peices
- Pistachio or Almond ~ for garnishing
- 1Firstly make cheese balls by curdling the milk:
- 2Bring one liter of fresh milk to boil then turn the stove slow and add 2 table spoons of vinegar in it. Slowly stir it until the milk and the water separates. Remove from stove and drain it in a cheese cloth. Add cold water over the cheese then press it firmly with hand to squeeze all the water from it.
- 3Now, place the cheese on a big steel tray and knead it firmly, keep kneading it until all the cheese becomes soft enough and starts binding together ( you have to make it in a dough ball!). The kneading will make it stick together into a doughy form.
- 4Once kneaded, make small firm balls of the cheese. You should be able to make 10 to 11 balls.
- 5Now in another pan, boil water (1 1/4 cup) and add 3/4 cup sugar to it. Keep it boiling on slow heat than one by one add all the cheese balls in it and cover the pot with lid and let it cook on slow heat for 5 to 10 minutes. After that take a bowl of chilled ice water and transfer all the cheese balls into it. (this will make the cheese balls firmer and let it retain its shape) Let them be kept into cold water until you finish making the milk for rasmalai.
- 6Rasmallai Milk: In another pan bring the other one liter of milk to boil then turn the heat low, now add half cup sugar, cardamom powder to it with 4 leaves of saffron (cook it for 10 min) . Slowly stir in the cornstarch into it until it thickens well. Dish out the rasmallai milk in a nice deep platter!
- 7Now take out all the cheese balls one by one and squeeze them in hand; draining the remaining water out and place them in the rasmallai milk platter. Garnish it with pistachios and almonds!!!