Chicken ghee roast is popular Mangalorean Chicken recipe whose origins go back to a town, Kundapur, close to Udupi. Chicken ghee roast has a fiery red, tangy and spicy with a flavor of ghee roasted spices. It goes very well with neer dosa . Neer dosa, literally meaning water dosa in Tulu, is a crêpe prepared from rice batter. Neer dosa is a delicacy from Tulu Nadu region. It does not need any fermentation like a normal dosa so after grinding it can be instantly made. Do try this mangalorean delicacy and give a feed back.
- Chicken 700 gms
- 10 to12 Bedgi (mangalorean)chillies or Kashmiri chillies
- 12 peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4tsp fenugreek seeds ( methi)
- 12 garlic cloves with skin
- 1 small marble size tamarind or 1/2 tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup ghee
- Yoghurt 4 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Curry leaves handfull
- Salt to taste
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Ingredients for neer dosa;
- 2 cups of white rice ( dosa rice)
- Coconut grated 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- 1Cut the the chicken into medium pcs and wash and drain them well .
- 2Heat a pan & dry roast the chillies, peppercorns, fenugreek, coriander & cumin seeds. Take care to see that the chillies don’t burn otherwise they will let out a bitter taste. Using a little water grind all these ingredients along with the garlic & tamarind to a fine paste.
- 3Marinate the chicken with the ground masala, turmeric powder, salt and yogurt for couple of hours.
- 4Heat 1/4 cup of ghee in a wide thick bottomed pan and add the marinated chicken pieces and cook it on medium low flame fill well roasted. Add curry leaves and sugar 1 tsp and mix well. Cook until you get a thick well roasted gravy . Garnish with chopped coriander leaves . Ghee roast goes well with neer dosa.
- 5Method for neer dosa ;
Soak rice for 4 to 5 hrs. Grind the rice with 1 cup of water till fine paste . It should be very fine and not grainy . Grainy batter will lead to imperfect texture. Now add the batter into a deep bowl and add salt and 5 cups of water . We need 6 cups of water in total. The batter has to be watery.
- 6Now heat a non stick pan , the flame should be high and the pan very hot now pour a ladle of the batter and quickly swirl the pan till the batter is evenly spread. Within few minutes the sides will loosen up and the dosa will be ready . With a help of a spatula fold the dosa into half and then fold it again and remove it into a plate let it cool completely . These dosa easily stick to each other if you stack them up one over the other when it's hot. Serve it with ghee roast .