Dahi wale baingan is basically a yoghurt based curry which includes eggplant which is cut into circles and shallow fried and added to the gravy. It's a tasty way to cook eggplant which I have seen many dont like to eat. But I love eggplant and I wonder why people dont like it. From bartas to pokoras I love eating baingan in any form. This goes well with chapatis so try it for your next dinner.
- 2 long eggplants
- Oil for shallow frying
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Finely chopped onion 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Besan ( chickpea flour) 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder 1/2tsp or more
- Coriander powder 1/2tsp
- Garam masala powder 1/4tsp
- Yoghurt 1 cup
- Kasoori methi 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped handfull
- 1Wash and cut the eggplant into round circles and shallow fry them till they are 80% cooked. Set aside.
- 2Now in the same pan with 2 tbsp oil add 1 tsp zeera and bay leaf when it cracks add onions finely chopped when they are light golden add ginger garlic paste and besan fry well till raw smell vanishes add haldi, Kashmiri chili powder, coriander powder , garam masala powder fry a couple of minutes and add water around 1/2 cup after a couple of minutes add yoghurt and salt mix well add the fried eggplant and cook for a couple minutes add kasoori methi and coriander leaves and give them a quick mix. Your gravy is ready to serve with chapatis. Enjoy.