The Gil-E-Firdaus is a simple milk pudding made with very simple ingredients like bottle gourd and sabudana. This desert was introduced to me by one of my cousins wife when i visited her house during my visit to Doha thats almost a decade ago.The Gil-E-Firdaus is Hyderabad's famous kheer/dessert .Gil E Firdaus means clay of paradise...Its a very delicious dessert which can be enjoyed cold or warm.Usually served in earthern pots . Many make this desert with only lauki but mine has sabudana too in it.
- 1 medium 750 gms lauki (bottle gourd) grated
- 50 gms sabudana (sago, tapioca) soaked
- 1 tin evaporated milk 170 gms
- Condensed milk half a cup
- Green colour few drops
- Sugar 4 tbsp.
- Rose water 2 tbsp
- Almonds and pista chopped
- 1Soak the sabudana for at least an hour.Grate the lauki and immediately keep it to cook to avoid discoloration with 4 tbsp of sugar in slow flame we want it to cook in its own water so keep covered , keep stirring occasionally to avoid burning. If you feel your lauki has not released much water put very little water. Meanwhile also cook the sabudana with fresh drinking water till they are cooked to form beautiful transparent pearls we dont want them to overcook and mash up like a paste.
- 2Now add evaporated milk into the lauki let it boil add cooked pearls of sabudana and the condensed milk taste the sweetness if you feel u want more add more condensed milk or sugar anything you wish. Now add green colour to get that pista colour look . Finally add the rose water and garnish with chopped almonds and pista. Serve in clay pots chilled
- 3Note* if you dont have evaporated milk you can use normal full fat milk around 3/4cup