Methi Matar Malai is a smooth, rich and delicious curry made in a white gravy along with fenugreek, peas, and cashews. This North Indian curry is well known for its rich creamy texture, and pairs perfectly with naan or rice! An authentic dish that is a perfect combination of creamy, sweet and bitter.
- Methi leaves / fenugreek 2 small bunches
- Matar / green peas boiled 1/2cup
- Cream 125 ml or half cup
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Sugar 1/2tsp
- Ingredients for making paste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp zeera
- 1/4cup cashew nuts
- 1 fat clove of garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1In a blender add all the ingredients listed under the paste together and grind it into a fine paste by adding some water.
- 2In a kadai add ghee and add the above ground paste fry this paste until the rawness of the onions goes away in medium heat for at least 8 to 10 minutes if the mixture is sticking to the bottom of the pan add water and fry till the oil oozes out from the sides as shown in the pic . At this point you can see almost gravy has thickened very much dont brown the masala as we want a nice white gravy.
- 3In the meantime clean your meethi leaves ( remember we just want the leaves and not stem) with water several times as it contains a lot of mud. Then chop them up finely and add them into the masala. Fry them for 2 mts.
- 4Now if you are not using frozen green peas like me then boil the peas with enough of water till done and add this water around 1 cup mix it well . And if you are using frozen ones add 1 cup normal water. Add in the peas too.
- 5Add cream and simmer it for 5 mts . Now add salt and sugar mix it up well . Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with pulkas or rotis.