Rajma chawal is a very famous and loved vegetarian dish in Indian subcontinent, consisting of red kidney beans in a thick gravy with many Indian whole spices, and is usually served with rice. Although kidney beans did not originate from the Indian subcontinent, it is a part of regular diet in Northern India. The dish developed after the red kidney bean was brought to the Indian subcontinent from Mexico.
Rajma, or kidney beans, are a treasure trove of health benefits . It is an excellent source of dietary fibres, which help boost your digestive system and also keep your heart healthy. It has a low GI index, which makes it ideal for diabetics too. Rajma also boasts of an array of antioxidants, it is a natural detoxifier. My family love eating rajma along with ghee rice , you can give it a try and let me know.
- Red kidney beans 1 and 1/4 cup
- Onions medium 4
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tbsp
- 4 medium tomatoes
- Turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Kasoori methi 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped handfull
- 1Soak the beans overnight with water. Next day pressure cook it with salt and enough water till done for almost 3 whistles .
- 2In a deep cooking pan add 4tbsp oil and add 4 medium sized onions thinly sliced and fry then till golden and crispy . Drain and remove them from the oil and cool them completely and grind them with little water into a fine paste. Set aside.
- 3In the same oil we fried onions add ginger garlic paste till the rawness disappears . Meanwhile grind 4 medium tomatoes into a smooth puree and add it in pan add salt and fry it till it's starts boiling now close the lid and cook for 5 mts. Now start adding the dry masalas like turmeric, coriander , red chili and Kashmiri chili powder mix well now add prepared brown onions paste mix well for 2 mts add rajma along with its stock mix well add garam masala powder mix well check the salt add kasoori methi by rubbing it along with your palms because the taste of the kasoori methi comes out good when its crushed. The gravy should be neither very thick nor thin. Finally add chopped coriander leaves off the flame serve it with ghee rice or zeera rice or plain steamed rice.