Sweet potatoes are not only tasty but are a rich source of fibre as well as containing an array of vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, and they're a good source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C.
Sweet potatoes in my childhood where either consumed in the form of podis i.e flitters during tea time or they where boiled and where combined with sweetened coconut milk both of them tasted great. Salad concepts where very less then but as time passed due to globalization western foods have influenced our country also. Now my dinner table very often includes salads and soups . So I keep trying new recipes to have a variety. This salad is very tasty ,the baked sweet potatoes can be just eaten like that without adding anything to it, they taste awesome. Do try this version and leave a feed back.
- Sweet potatoes 3 medium
- 1 small onion finely sliced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder 1 tsp
- Olive oil 2 tbsp + 3 tbsp for dressing
- Garlic grated 3 cloves
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Cucumber 1 chopped
- Corn 1/2cup
- Red kidney beans 1/2cup
- Lettuce leave 3 roughly chopped
- Coriander leaves chopped handfull
- 1Peel and chop the sweet potatoes to bite size cubes. Toss them us with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper and and place in one layer in baking tray . Place in a non-preheated oven on the center rack, then turn the oven to 200c. Bake 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Now in a small bowl make a dressing by adding olive oil, grated garlic, salt , pepper and lemon juice. Add all remaining ingredients to a large bowl, then toss with the sweet potatoes and olive oil dressing, adjust seasoning. Serve hot or cold.