Chinese chilli chicken is not authentically a chinese dish but it has a touch of indo-chinese recipes that are more spicy.
My sister made this and I was in awe as she has grown up to be such a talented cook at such a young age. Inspired by her recipe, with some changes I made my very own chilli chicken.
- 500g chicken breast cut into cubes
- Marination for chicken:
- 1/2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- For coating the chicken:
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 cup Corn flour
- 1 egg beaten
- For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 tsp soya sauce 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp red chilli sauce or more (acc to spice)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup orange bell peppers chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 cup water
- 1Marinate chicken for about 2 hours. Mix together flour, baking powder and cornflour in a bowl. In a seperate bowl, beat the egg.
- 2Coat each chicken cube first with egg and then with the flour mixture.
- 3Fry the coated chicken pieces on medium heat till golden brown and take out from the fry pan. Keep aside.
- 4Make the sauce by mixing soya sauce, chili sauce, red chili powder, black pepper powder, sugar, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Keep aside.
- 5In a wok, add 2 tbsp oil and sauté garlic on medium heat. Toss in the onions, bell peppers and green chilies. Cook for 2 mins.
- 6Pour the sauce and let it simmer.
- 7Just before serving, pour in the corn flour mixed with water. Mix till the sauce thickens.
Add the crispy fried chicken pieces. Heat and stir the chicken pieces with the sauces. If its added early, they won't remain crispy.
- 8Serve hot with fried rice or noodles.