A really good friend of mine at my dental college used to treat us with homemade coffee cake. As I was living in the hostel, I used to miss homemade food. She would make the cake herself and surprise us.
I found this coffee cake recipe on the internet, with a few changes this is one of the spongiest, moist coffee cakes you can make for a tea party.
My hubby just loves this cake and he isn't much fond of the frosting (conscious about the calories
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp instant coffee
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 deg. Keep a round pan of 24 cm ready with an oil spray.
- 2Whisk the egg whites till they form stiff peaks. Add sugar gradually and beat.
- 3Add vanilla essence, egg yolks and oil. Beat till you get a smooth batter.
- 4Fold in the flour, baking powder and instant coffee mix.
- 5Pour the batter in the cake tray and bake for 40 mins or till your tooth prick comes out clean.
- 6Enjoy with a cup of tea or hot chocolate!