A delicious veggie tart made with mashed pumpkin, sweetened with dates and topped off with burnt butter and sage.
- 100 gr dates
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups mashed pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup self raising flour
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- a few fresh sage leaves
- cinnamon sugar to dust (optional)
- 1First off, in a small pot, combine the dates and butter over medium heat. The dates take a while to soften and you should have a sticky consistency after about 30 minutes. Allow it to break down into a mushy, sticky state. If you like, you can process the dates in a food processor to break it down more.
- 2Add the melted dates and butter to the cooked, mashed pumpkin and combine. Leave to cool.
- 3In a mixing bowl, combine the cooled pumpkin and date mash with the baking powder, salt, egg, flour and cream. Mix well.
- 4Pour into an oven safe pie dish and bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 – 50 minutes until firm to the touch.
- 5Meanwhile heat the next bit of butter in a saucepan until it bubbles and changes colour to golden brown.
- 6Add the sage leaves to the hot butter, allow the herbs to crisp up and drizzle over hot pie. Dust with cinnamon sugar if you like.