This low GI recipe for two is rich in fibre and contains omega-3. It’s also delicious and warming – real comfort food. Just in case this isn’t enough to get you into the kitchen, count how many ‘eat to beat stroke’ foods you can spot in the ingredients list!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup diced white onion
- ½ cup diced carrot
- Pinch saffron threads, dissolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup canned whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup drained and rinsed canned white beans
- 150 g cubed boneless white fish
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 small warm mixed grain rolls or wholemeal pita breads
- 1Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and carrot and stir until the onion is soft, about 2–3 minutes.
- 2Stir in the dissolved saffron threads and water, tomatoes and water. Stir to break up the tomatoes while bringing to the boil, 1–2 minutes. Stir in the beans, reduce heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the fish and stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Stir in the parsley and serve with the rolls.