One of my year-round favorite desserts is a fruit crisp. In the summer I make it with fresh peaches, nectarines and berries. In the winter I use apples and pears. It takes a few minutes to prepare and is always a crowd-pleaser.
- 1½ cup flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ t ground ginger
- 1½ sticks of unsalted butter, cut into 12 T pieces
- ½ cup rolled oats (not instant!)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 8 cups chopped fruit (if using apples or pears peel and core)
- ¼ - ½ cup sugar, depending on how tart your fruit is
- 4 T flour
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees, In a food processor, briefly pulse first 6 ingredients to mix.
- 2Add butter slices and pulse until mixture is incorporated and looks like coarse meal.
- 3Add walnuts and oatmeal and pulse a couple times to incorporate. Do not over pulse.
- 4Put chopped fruit, sugar and flour in a large bowl and toss to incorporate. I use my hands so as not to bruise the fruit. Transfer the fruit mixture to your baking dish.
- 5Cover the fruit with the flour, sugar, butter and oatmeal mixture. Make sure to cover all the fruit. Pop in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the crisp topping begins to brown.