Meat pies are one of my favorite go to in case i'm having a few friends over or invited to a meet and bring party, or when I just feel like spoiling myself (which is always :p)
I hope you'll enjoy this recipe as much as i do. Please be free to add your own ingredients and make your own twists on the recipe.....Remember the key to good cooking is exploring your options and trying out new things.
If you have any questions or inquiries feel free to leave me a message and i'll respond as soon as i can.
All the best :)
- For the dough
- 3 3/4 cups of multi purpose flour and 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 packet of instant yeast (this is equivalant to 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 1/3 cups of warm water
- 1 tbs sugar and 3 tbs olive oil
- For the filling
- 1 1/2 kg ground beef
- 1 big onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- salt to taste
- spices (any that you prefer)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp flour (as thickener)
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbs ketchup or bbq sauce (optional, if you like it a bit sweet ;) )
- 1whisk the flour and salt together in a large bowl then make a well in the middle and add the water, sugar and instant yeast.
- 2Let it sit until it gets foamy, when foamy, mix the mixture together.
- 3Add the 3 tbs of olive oil and then knead until smooth for about five minutes.
- 4While waiting for the dough to rise heat a pan with oil on medium heat.
- 5Add the diced onions into the pan and stir fry until they start to brown then add salt and the crushed garlic and stir all together.
- 6Add the ground beef to the pan and stir well, when it starts getting cooked add the spices and mix together.
- 7Now add the diced carrot, stir fry for a minute or so then add your tomato paste and/or ketchup/bbq sauce and mix all well. (if the mixture is too dry you can add few tsp of water but be careful not to make it too watery)
- 8Let the mixture simmer. On the side put your 1 tsp of flour in a cup and add a few pinches of water and mix well. once mixed well add the flour mixture into the pan and stir well together.
- 9After all is mixed well and cooked (it should be thick at this point) turn of the stove off and let it cool.
- 10Once the dough has risen take off the cloth and lightly punch the dough in the middle then knead it and divide it into two parts.
- 11Start working on the first part, divide it into smaller portions by making balls out of it.
- 12On a flat surface add a little flour and some on the rolling pin as well in order to prevent the dough from sticking.
- 13Take one ball and start rolling it out (it should be about 8-inch flat)
- 14Take a round object (depending on how big or small you want your pies to be) make sure its clean, could be a bowl or container cap, and use it to shape a circle out of the rolled out dough.
- 15Take about 1 tbs of the mixture (of course depends on the size of your pies) and add the mixture into the middle of the round dough (be careful not to fill it up too much otherwise it will be hard to close the ends)
- 16Break the egg into a bowl and whisk it. Then brush the egg onto one end of the dough and then carefully fold the other end of the dough over to cover the filling and use a fork to lightly press the edges together.
- 17Make three slits on the top of the pie by using a sharp knife then brush some egg wash on the top of the pie (this helps to keep the top moist and give it a lovely gold color)
- 18On a baking tray/foil spread some oil on it and put the pie on it.
- 19Repeat the process above for the remaining of the filling and arrange them on the baking tray/foil (NB: if any dough or mixture remains it can be stored for future use, as for the dough, just put the remaining in a plastic wrap or zip lock bag and put in the freezer then next time you want to use it just take it out and let it defrost)
- 20Pre-heat the oven at 450' F or 250' C and once the baking tray is full put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the top of the pies are golden brown and the dough is risen and cooked (you can do this in batches in case one round wont be enough for all pies)