- 5 medium Irish Potatoes
- 300g fresh fish (head and tail only)
- 10 medium mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 2 habanero peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground ehu (Calabash Nutmeg)
- 1 big stock cube
- Black pepper (tiny quantity)
- 5 scent leaves
- 3 bay leaves (optional)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1Peel the Irish Potatoes, rinse and cut into medium cubes.
- 2Cut the fish head and tail into sizeable chunks.
- 3Cut the habanero pepper into medium pieces.
- 4Grind the ehu.
- 5Cut the onion into into thin slices along the bulb. This is so that when they heat up, they will add body to the pepper soup.
- 6Cut the scent leaves into tiny pieces.
- 7Pour a small qauntity of water into a clean pot and set on the stove (medium heat). The water should just cover the bottom of the pot.
- 8Add the ground ehu, black pepper and stock cube (crushed).
- 9Stir and gently place the pieces of fish in the pot. Once the bottom heats up, turn the fish around so that all sides will get some heating and become tough.
- 10When the fish is well heated all over, remove them from the pot and add the potatoes.
- 11Add water to cover the potatoes, add the bay leaves and start cooking on high heat till the potatoes are cooked but not soft.
- 12Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- 13Add the fish (gently), the onions and habanero pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- 14Then take out the fish again and add salt to taste. Note: we add the fish, take it out, add, take it out etc so that it does not scatter.
- 15Stir to make sure everything is incorporated.
- That's it! Serve and sprinkle the scents leaves on top. Enjoy it with a chilled drink.
- Total Fat10 g15%
- Cholesterol10 mg3%
- Sodium20 mg1%
- Carbs20 g7%
- Fiber20 g80%
- Sugars10 g11%
- Protein20 g40%