Peshawari kadhai is another specialty of Peshawar, Pakistan. Kadhai is basically a wok which is used to make certain dishes. It is one of the top favorite meals of my family. I first ate this kadhai in karachi at a restaurant. I was in love with it, the aroma, the taste, it was a treat for the tongue:) I searched for long for the perfect recipe and after days of net surfing I finally found what could satisfy my urge for this kadhai.
I don't want my followers to be void of such a recipe. So, I will share with you the details.
In a wok, saute onion till they turn transparent.
Crush whole cumin, coriander seeds and black pepper with mortar and pestle. You can use a blender too, just make sure its not completely powdered.
Add chicken, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, cumin, coriander powder and salt. Stir for few minutes. Then add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
Pour yogurt into the wok and cook for another 5 minutes.
Finally add butter, garam masala, lemon and fresh coriander. Cook on slow heat for 10 minutes with lid closed.
Serve hot with naan/ roti and raita.
- 500g boneless or 1 kg chicken with bones
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes cubed
- Crushed black pepper 1 tsp
- Crushed coriander seeds 1 tsp
- Crushed cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Chilli flakes 1 n half tsp
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp blended yogurt
- 1In a wok, saute onions on medium heat with oil till they turn transparent.
- 2Add chicken, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, chili flakes, coriander and cumin to the wok. Stir for 5 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes and let it cook for 10 minutes. Pour in yogurt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 4Lastly, add butter, garam masala, lemon juice and fresh corriander leaves in the wok. Leave on slow flame for 5 minutes.
- 5Serve hot with naan/ roti and raita. Enjoy!