This chorizo and asparagus carbonara is easy to make and a real weekend treat!
- Penne pasta
- 1 pack chorizo
- 500g green asparagus
- 2 eggs
- fresh basil
- 2 tbpsn grated parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper/ salt
- 2 or 3 small shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- olive oil
- 1Heat 1 tbspn olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook on a low heat for around 4 minutes.
- 2Put the pasta onto boil with a pinch of salt. Add the asparagus into a separate pan of boiling water and cook for around 6 minutes.
- 3Add the chopped chorizo to the pan with the onions. Leave to cook on a medium heat.
- 4Drain the asparagus, roughly chop and add to the pan with the chorizo.
- 5Drain the pasta and reserve about 100ml of the water it was cooking in. Beat 2 eggs in a small jug and then add the water and lemon juice. Whisk in the parmesan so that the mixture is smooth.
- 6Add the drained pasta to the pan with the chorizo and asparagus and then pour in the egg mixture. Turn the pan up to a high heat and keep stirring for around 2 minutes.
- 7Take the pan off the heat and stir in some fresh basil and ground black pepper.
- 8Garnish with more fresh basil if needed.