This versatile Turkish flatbread is all you need this winter to dunk into those soups, dips, stews, gravy’s or just as sandwich. I love munching it on its own immediately once out of my cast iron pan. It’s fluffy, soft pillowy texture just soaks in the warm juices perfectly! Easy to make with few ingredients that are already at hand. I recently tried it with Karides Guvec(Turkish Cheesy baked prawn) and it was a pair made in heaven! Also you could try it with Shakshuka.
Here we go!
- All purpose flour- 500gms
- Yogurt- 100gms
- Instant yeast- 1 tsp
- Sugar- 1tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tbsp
- Water- 300ml
- Butter- for brushing on the bread surface
- Oil- 1tbsp
- 1In a mixing bowl toss in all the ingredients except butter. (Add water little by little)
- 2Knead the mixture into a soft and sticky dough.
- 3Rub the dough surface with some oil. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and allow it to rise until doubled. (depending on the room temperature it may take 30-40 mins).
- 4Once doubled divide the dough into 4 balls. Place them on a lightly floured surface and cover them with a damp cloth. Allow to rest for 8-10 mins.
- 5Take a dough ball and roll it i to a disc of about 8”. Allow it to rest for another 10 mins.
- 6Heat a heavy bottom pan. Place a rolled disc on the pan and wait for bubbles to appear on the surface(about 4-5 mins). Flip over the bread and allow to cook for another 5 mins.
- 7Remove from heat and brush some butter and cover with a kitchen cloth to keep these fluffy bread warm. Bon appetite!