Creme Brulee literally means "burnt cream" in French. It's always been my favorite but never tried making it at home. And when I set my eyes on this chocolate creme brulee set by Jamie Oliver, who is my mentor with fine, yet sophisticated recipes up his sleeves, I knew I had to get hold of it and bought it without a second thought. This set comes with a Cooks torch, which I always wanted, porcelain remkins and Jamie Oliver's chocolate creme brulee recipe!
It's a decadent chocolaty treat with light yet deep flavors of chocolate. It indulges you into a journey of textures by first breaking into the sugar-caramel glass, then diving through the creamy chocolate custard and finally hitting the dark chocolate bottom. Find yourself lost in the "Chocolate wonderland"!
What's more I decided to experiment with my new set on Valentines day. Turned out to be a hit with my chocolate crazy hubby and son!
My first time blow torch caremelization!
- Vanilla essence-1tsp
- Whipping cream-250ml
- Egg yorks-5
- Sugar-40gms plus extra for caremelizing
- Cocoa powder 1 tsp
- Cocoa solids(70%)-40gms
- 1Add milk, Whipping cream and vanilla essence into a pan and simmer for 5 mins.
- 2In a mixing bowl add the egg yolk, sugar and cocoa powder and whisk for a min.
- 3Keep whisking slowly as you add in the vanilla-milk and whipping cream mixture until you have a well mixed custard.
- 4Add 2 1/2 cm of hot water in a pot, bring to a simmer and put your custard bowl on it(make sure it doesn't touch the water). Cook slowly for 5 mins, stirring frequently, until it coats the back of a spoon.
- 5Pour the custard through a seive to eleminate lumpy particles if any.
- 6Preheat oven to 150 degree C. Bash up the chocolate chunks and divide it among the remekins into a flat layer.
- 7Por custard mix into the remekins equally.
- 8Fill a roasting tray with water until it comes half way up remekins sides. Place remekins in the water tray.
- 9Cook for around 25-30mins until slightly wobbly in the center. Allow to cool, then sprinkle with some sugar and caramelize with the blow torch.