Slow cooked beef in garlic, chilli, onion, cinnamon and red wine served with rich marrow bones and crusty bread.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large brown onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 birds eye chili, finely chopped
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 kg beef stewing meat / rump
- flour for dusting the meat
- 4 cups good quality red wine
- 1 cup good quality beef stock
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- a few marrow bones
- crusty bread to serve
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the butter and saute the onions, garlic and chilli until translucent. Remove the sauteed ingredients from the pot.
- 2Dust the beef cubes with flour, heat the olive oil and brown the meat.
- 3Add the sauteed ingredients back to the pot.
- 4Add the red wine, stock, cinnamon sticks and marrow bones.
- 5Cover and leave to simmer for about 3 hours, checking for sufficient liquids every now and then.
- 6Serve with olive ciabatta.