Slow roasted Gammon served it with a delectable cherry and red wine sauce.
- one large 1,2 kg gammon
- salt and black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and segmented
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 cups red wine
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups fresh cherries
- 2 tablespoons concentrated beef stock
- 1First off, preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. In an oven safe roasting dish, place the gammon and season well.
- 2Bake for 25 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius, then turn the heat down to 150 degrees Celsius and roast for 3 hours. I had mine covered the whole way.
- 3Add the potatoes and onions after half the baking time, checking regularly during roasting time.
- 4When the gammon is done, remove the meat from the dish, and leave to rest. Also remove the potatoes and onion.
- 5Deglaze the dish by adding the red wine to the hot oven dish, then pour these cooking juices into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- 6Add the balsamic vinegar and cherries, and cook until reduced.
- 7Slice the gammon and serve with sauce and roasted potatoes. You can add your own side of veggies to this.