An avocado spa treatment for your kale mellows this cantankerous crucifer, and eliminates the need for a separate dressing. You will be hooked on this super easy and delicious way to prepare one of earth's healthiest foods.
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale
- Olive oil
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- Juice from ½-1 lemon
- 1 avocado, cut in half with one half diced
- 1 orange
- ⅓ cup toasted and salted pumpkin seeds
- 3 T thinly sliced red onion
- 2-3 ounces crumbled feta (optional)
- 1Cut the spines from the kale. Chop the kale leaves into 2 " squares. Put in a large non-aluminum bowl.
- 2Splash a couple tablespoons of olive oil (no need to measure) and sprinkle a generous pinch of sea salt on the kale.
- 3Using your hands, massage the kale until the texture and color changes to supple and darker green. Total massage time will vary between 1 and 5 minutes depending on the type of kale you are using and the maturity of the kale.
- 4When color and texture begin to change add juice from ½ lemon. Massage in with your hands for a another minute or so.
- 5When you think kale is just about ready, scoop out half of the avocado and massage that in to the kale, coating all the leaves.
- 6Cut the skin from the orange and segment the orange. Add diced avocado, orange segments, onion slices and toasted pumpkin seeds to the massaged kale. Toss. Adjust lemon juice to taste.