A spicy rub made with smoked Spanish paprika is the key to these delicious and easy tacos. Wash them down with a jalapeño margarita!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 or more chipotle chilies (canned) to taste, finely chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 T hot smoked Spanish paprika (Pimenton de la Vera picante) or a mixture of picante and dulce
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1½ T chili powder
- 1 T granulated garlic, or garlic powder
- 1 T granulated onion, or onion powder
- 4 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¾
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces shredded purple and green cabbage or prepackaged coleslaw mix
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 T lime juice
- 2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed on stove top or grill
- Lime wedges
- 1In a small bowl whisk together sour cream and chopped chipotle. Add one chili at a time and taste before adding another. Continue adding chilies until you like the heat level. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2Stir together brown sugar, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, granulated garlic and granulated onion in a small bowl. Plan to use ⅔ of the rub on chicken and ⅓ on vegetables. Put a spoonful of the rub into a plastic bag, add a few pieces of chicken and shake, add more rub and chicken and shake again. Repeat until all the chicken is coated in the rub. Set aside or put in the fridge if you are preparing in advance. Chicken can marinate in rub for several hours.
- 3Heat the grill to medium high. Sprinkle the remaining rub over the vegetables just before you start grilling. Grill the chicken until it is cooked through. Grill the veggies until are tender and have grill marks.
- 4Slice the chicken diagonally into half inch strips and the veggies into ¾" pieces. Mound the chicken and veggies in a large serving platter.
- 5Put lime juice in a small bowl and whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss with shredded cabbage and chopped cilantro.
- 6Set up your taco bar with platter of chicken and veggies, a bowl of chipotle cream, a bowl of cilantro coleslaw, lime wedges and warmed tortillas. Don't forget the margarita!