I am spending eid holidays with my parents. Enjoying mom's delicious meals and relaxing while my sisters take care of the kids.
They say moms make food with a very special ingredient - that is love. You ask anyone and they would say they absolutely miss their mums dishes and no one can cook better than her.
We made mutton pilau today. It was full of flavors, the spices had been infused in the pilau rice and meat. I will share with you this wonderful recipe of pilau.
In a pressure cooker, add the meat, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, cinnamom sticks, bay leaves, cumin, meat stock cubes, whole onion, whole garlic, ginger and salt. Pour about 6 cups of water and cook for 15 min or more after the first whistle till the meat is thoroughly cooked.
Strain the mixture. Keep the mutton stock aside. You will have about 5 cups of stock remaining.
Pick out the mutton pieces seperately.
In a pot, saute onion, garlic and ginger in oil on medium heat.
Add the mutton pieces and the stock, let it boil.
After it starts boiling, add the soaked rice without any water in the pot. Stir and close the lid. Cook for 15 minutes on high heat.
If the rice is about 80 percent cooked cover with aluminium foil and place the lid on top. Cook on low flame for about 15 minutes.
Serve hot with raita and fresh salad. Enjoy!
- 1 kg mutton/ beef pieces with bone
- 2 medium size onion without peeling
- 2 garlic clove whole without peeling
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 1 tbsp zeera
- 10 cloves
- 10 whole black pepper
- 3 bay leaf
- 3 cinammon stick
- 10 cardamom
- 2 mutton stock cube
- 3 tsp salt
- For frying:
- 2 medium sized onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 cups basmati rice soaked for 15 mins in water
- 1In a pressure cooker, add meat and all the spices, ginger, garlic, mutton stock cubes and salt. Pour about 6 cups of water and cook for 15 mins or more after the first whistle till the meat is cooked.
- 2Strain the meat mixture, keep the stock aside. You will get about 5 cups of stock. From the strainer, seperate the meat from the spices.
- 3In a pot, saute onion, ginger and garlic in oil on medium heat till they turn transparent.
- 4Add the meat spices and the meat stock. Let it boil on high heat. When the water is bubbling, add the soaked rice without any water, stir, cover with the lid for 10 - 15 minutes. Then open the lid and check the rice, if its about 80 percent cooked, cover with aluminium foil and cook on v slow flame for about 15 mins.
- 5Serve hot with raita and green salad.