Turn your next holiday season into a delicious carnival with this holiday special Lithuanian recipe. It brings lovely flavors by adding bacon or chicken to it. This traditional dish produces a heavy, dense affair to enjoy on your leisure time.
A small dollop of sour cream makes a great topping choice; it’s optional, but you can add it for extra indulgence. It also an ideal choice for parties; your guest will adore it like nothing!
- 4 large potatoes
- 100 g bacon
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and black pepper
- 0.5 cup sour cream
- Scallions, sliced
- 1At first, take your large skillet; first add chopped onion and bacon. Start sautéing them over medium heat. There is no need to drain the fat. Transfer the mixture to a dish and set aside.
- 2Take oven shelf and put it in the middle of your oven; now heat you oven till it reaches the temperature of 180 C. Then after, take cooking spray and nicely coat a pan with it.
- 3Take your mixing bowl of large size; mix in milk, eggs, black pepper and salt. Now in the same bowl, mix in prepared bacon mixture and still it well with the egg mixture.
- 4Now take potatoes and grate them finely; you can either manually grate them or can use your food processor. Make sure there is no moisture in them. Place grated potatoes within the bowl mixture; mix them well with each other.
- 5Take the coated pan; add the bowl mixture to it. Allow it to bake for the next 60 minutes; wait till the mixture turns light brown. Take the pan out when the mixture is still solid from within but still moist.
- 6Allow it to cool down for the next 5-6 minutes. Then cut them in your choice of sizes. Enjoy it along with scallions and a dollop of sour cream (optional).
- 7Also the leftover Kugelis can be stored in the refrigerator and consume the next day by reheating in butter.