Pork short ribs are a BBQ favorite and rightly so, yet is this recipe a real treat when the weather doesn't allow to dine outside.
It takes a bit of preparation, but as always with cooking goes a bit of patients a long way.
The broth provides for a delicious sauce and combined with the crunchy celery and sweet apple sauce is this a dish to show of to your friends..
- For the short ribs:
- • 1 kg short ribs
- • 1 medium size carrot (roughly chopped)
- • 1 stalk celery (roughly cut)
- • ½ medium size onion
- • 250 ml home- made chicken stock
- • 2 bay leaves
- • 60 gr lard
- • 30 gr turmeric powder
- • oil for deep frying
- • salt & pepper
- For the vegetables:
- • 2 stalks celery (cut in 8 cm, 3 ½ inch long strips)
- • 1 medium red onion (sliced into half moons)
- • 150 gr radish (cut in 8 cm, 3 ½ inch long strips)
- • 30 gr fresh cilantro leaves, or parsley
- • 60 gr olive oil
- For the apple puree:
- • 1 large apple
- • Juice of ½ lime
- 1• Divide the short ribs in 4 equal portions
- 2• Heat on the first day the lard in a Dutch oven on medium heat. Season the ribs with a little salt and fry them until browned on all sides. Add the carrot, celery, chicken stock and bay leaves, braise on low heat until the ribs are cooked about 1 to 1 ½ hour. You should be able to easily pierce a knife through.
- 3• Remove the ribs from the pan, allow cooling and store in the fridge.
- 4• Strain de stock through a fine sieve or cheese cloth and place this also in the fridge. Discard the veggies.
- 5• Boil the apple with a little water and the lime juice until soft, about 5 minutes. Blender smooth and store in the fridge as well.
- 6• Slice the vegetables on the second day in strips
- 7• Heat a deep fryer to 180 degrees (325 F)
- 8• Scoop the fat, which has now hardened on top of the stock, from it. Preserve the fat for later use. You will now have a jelly like stock.
- 9• Combine the ground turmeric with a little water to create a paste. Brush the paste all over the ribs.
- 10• Heat the olive oil in a skillet to medium heat and fry the veggies until softened, but still crunchy 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste.
- 11• Deep fry the ribs until golden brown, about 3 minutes, drain on kitchen paper.
- 12• Scoop some cold jelly stock on plates followed by the vegetables. Top with the fried ribs and a spoonful of apple puree on the side.
- Total Fat74.9 g115%
- Sat. Fat29.7 g149%
- Sodium88.1 mg4%
- Carbs11.9 g4%
- Fiber3.0 g12%
- Protein63.5 g127%