Cheese in and cheese out and say cheese too! that's what this fancy chicken drumstick is all about! Stuffing Koftas and meatballs is one thing but stuffing drumsticks? yeah you got that right, stuffing drumsticks is a level up! This recipe dates back to my collage days, when my younger sister Sameera, a passionate cook and my inspiration always turned our kitchen into a lab on weekends, with a bang and a boom! out always came a yummy delicacy. She would borrow recipe books from collage library to refer and we would wait to devour. Back then I was not an experimentalist like her, but just a humble dal chawal girl sticking to basics. Eventually her exploring spree rubbed off to all of us sisters. It's contagious! So when I saw this recipe in one of her library books, I just took note, but was too intimidated by the drumstick stuffing back then that I just shut the book close and put it to trial only after 15 years of confident cooking, just to realize it wasn't that tough at all to begin with!
Here is a pictorial guide:
1. That's where you poke the knife tip to make an opening close to the bone end. You can stick your thumb in and you will realize that's enough space for the paneer stuffing. and the muscle fibers have the elasticity to expand and contract to hold the stuffing together. Marinate the drumsticks for 30 mins.
2.Take marble sized filling mix and push it through the opening in the drumsticks, add more filling and push through(2-3 times) . Pinch together together to secure the opening. Chill in the fridge for 15 mins.
3. Press the opening together to seal and tuck the filling in.
4.Chill in the fridge for 15 mins.
5. Roast it in the oven for 8-10 mins.
6. Allow to cool for 10 mins. Coat the chicken with cream-cheese mix and pan fry to get a golden char crust.
7. Serve with mint chutney and lemon wedges on side.Enjoy!
- For the Drumstick marinade:
- Chicken Drumsticks- 8
- Paprika powder- 1 tsp
- Onion powder- 1 tsp(optional)
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- For the filling:
- Cottage cheese (Paneer)- 200 gms (mashed)
- Red chilly flakes- 1 tsp
- Onion(small)- 1 (finely chopped)
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Chat masala powder- 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts, finely chopped- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp(chopped)
- Salt to taste
- For the coating:
- Cream- 2 tbsp
- Grated cheese- 1 tbsp
- Cornflour- 1 tbsp
- Butter for basting
- 1Clean the drumstick, drain and poke the tip of the knife on the lower side of the bulge to open up a pocket for the filling.(refer pic)
- 2In a bowl mix all the ingredients mentioned in the marinate. Add the drumsticks into the mixture and marinate for 30 mins.
- For the filling:
- 1In a pan add 1 tsp oil, add the chopped onions and saute till softened followed by red chilly flakes, stir fry for 3-4 secs and take off heat.
- 2In a mixing bowl take the mashed paneer and add the stir fried onion-chilly along with cumin, chat masala powder, chopped cashew nut, salt and chopped coriander leaves.Mix well.
- 3Take marble sized filling mix and push it through the opening in the drumsticks, add more filling and push through(2-3 times) . Pinch together together to secure the opening. Put it in the fridge for about 15 mins.
- 4Pre- heat oven to 180 degree C and roast for 8-10 mins basting with butter occasionally. Allow to cool for 10 mins.
- 5In a bowl mix in all the ingredients for the coating. Coat the chicken with cream-cheese mix and pan fry to get a golden char crust, serve with mint chutney and lemon wedges on side.Enjoy!