My maternal side in srilanka, seafood is a must in their daily course meal, be it fish or prawns, sometimes even crab. This srilankan recipe of masala prawns are spicy, with all the flavors infused in the prawns and are great when combined with bell peppers.
Prawns/ shrimps they cook really fast. You wouldn't want to overcook them. Its a quick and hassle free dish.
Prawns are a good source of cholesterol, from 120 mg to 250 mg per 100 g of shrimp. So if you have high cholesterol, you better watch out the amount of your serving. They are also high in calcium, iodine and omega 3s.
- 700g prawns washed and shell removed
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 cup capsicum cut into cubes
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust accordingly)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1In a wok, saute onions in oil on medium heat till they turn transparent.
- 2Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes, cumin seeds, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- 3Toss in prawns and capsicum and cover the wok on low flame for 10 mins or more till the prawns are cooked. If you feel the gravy is drying out, add half cup of water.
- 4Serve hot with roti/ rice. Enjoy!