Crab Biryani, hearing this many i am sure are surprised as its not very popular, even when i heard it for the first time i was sure and curious to try , Alhamdullillah it was a big hit and since then i have been trying it whenever I get good crabs. Crab Biryani is popular in kerala and i have been inspired to try this from 12 recipe book. You too try it and leave a feed back.
- Ingredients for masala;Crab cleaned 1 kg
- Onions sliced 4 large
- Tomotoes chopped 3 medium
- Ginger garlic and green chilli paste 3 tbsp
- Yogurt 1/2cup
- Turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- Red chilli powder 1tsp
- Black Pepper powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder 2 tsp
- Mint leaves chopped 1/4cup
- Coriander leaves chopped 1/4'cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Ingredients for rice;
- Basmati rice- 3 cups
- Cinnamon stick 2
- Green Cardamom 4
- Cloves 4
- Bay leaves 2
- Salt to taste
- Vinegar 1 tbsp
- Ingredients for garnishing;
- Onions-2 deep fried
- Fried cashews and raisins few
- Coriander leaves chopped handfull
- Mint leaves chopped handfull
- Ghee 4 tbsp
- Rose water 1 tbsp
- 1In a pan heat 3 tablespoons of oil and sauté onion till light golden. Make a paste out of ginger garlic and green chillies around 3 tbsp and add it in the onions till the rawness disappears add tomato in to it;
When the tomatoes are mashed well add all the powders, yogurt,coriander leaves, mint leaves, cleaned crab and salt.
Cover the lid and cook about 20 minutes (or until crab get cooked) in a low-medium flame (open the lid often and stir occasionally).
Mean while soak the rice in water for 15 minutes and drain.
Boil water in pan (enough to cook and drain rice); add salt, cinnamon stick, cardamom, bay leaves and cloves and vinegar
When it boils add drained rice
cooks until done (3/4 th cooked) and drain the rice.
In a heavy bottom pan add little oil; spread half part of prepared crab masala.
Add half part of rice on top of it; sprinkle half of garnishing ingredients on top.
Spread remaining masala followed by remaining rice and garnishing ingredients.
Cover the lid tightly (without escaping the steam) place a heavy weight on top of the lid and cook for 15 minutes on low flame or till steam has formed. Off the gas and let it settle down for 15mts. serve hot with cucumber raita.