Sathu is a traditional mangalorean sweet brown rice ladoos. Which is loaded with the goodness of jaggery , unpolished brown rice and coconut, all these are scientifically proven to have great health benefits. I have tried to make it instantly by washing the rice and directly roasting it in the pan on low flame unlike the traditional practice of drying the washed rice in the sunlight. You can take your own choice of either drying the rice if you have access to good sunlight or directly roasting it . Do try it for healthy snacking and to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- 1 cup matta rice
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 200 gms jaggery or less
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds ( til)
- 6 tbsp melted ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder or 2 whole
- 1Wash and dry the dry in sunlight. I used ponni rice as I had excess of it but traditionally it's made with matta rice. And I instantly made it by dry roasting the washed rice in low flame till the colour changed into brown as seen in picture . This will take some time . Keep stirring. The indication that it's done is it will start popping or when you eat it it should be crunchy.
- 2Now powder the rice in a jar to fine powder. If you not having Cardamom powder you can grind the cardamom along with the rice .Set aside
- 3Now take grated coconut and jaggery cut into small pieces and pulse it roughly so that the jaggery is well incorporated with the coconut.
Remember We dont want a paste .
Now dry roast sesame seeds till golden set aside.
- 4Now in a big bowl mix the rice flour and the coconut jaggery mixture, cardamom powder, roasted til,melted ghee in it. Mix it well.
- 5Start making ladoos out of it. This will yield 12 ladoos. Enjoy eating this healthy snack.