The mango season is incomplete with its share in the savoury side, be it in a chatpata chat, charmuri, Kulukki, Salads, mango curry or just the plain raw, sweet- sour mango smeared with red chilly and salt. Hmm now that I've gotten you salivating let me tell you about this curry which has its own version in every south indian household. This version is one from mine, handed over from my granny. And yes it has been tweaked here and there, tailored to meet my family's taste buds. The hero being of course the "mango" which is carried well with coconut milk which being the classic trademark of south Indian dishes cannot be ignored. This simple comfort food always teleports me home. Classic combination is with steamed rice, pickles, papad and buttermilk, while dosa stands a winner too! So make mango curry while the sun shines!
- Canola oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder- 1tsp (more or less as per taste)
- Turmeric- 1tsp
- Grated ginger- 2 tsp
- Green chilly chopped- 2 (more as per taste)
- Curry leaves- 8-10
- Cardamom pods- lightly crushed(optional)
- Garlic cloves sliced- 2
- Onion Chopped roughly- 1
- Ripe Mango- 1 large(chopped roughly)
- Tomatoes-3 (cored and roughly chopped)
- Coconut milk- 2 cups (fresh or made using coconut milk powder)
- Coriander leaves- Handful chopped
- Cashews- 8-10 (toasted)
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar/ Jaggery - 1 tsp(optional)
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Amchoor powder(mango powder) or chat powder - 1/2 tsp
- 1Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add onions and saute till soft and translucent. Add curry leaves, green chillies and garlic, saute for 4-5 secs. Add red chilly powder, Cumin powder, Amchhor powder or chat powder, turmeric powder, ginger and cardamom. Saute for a minute.
- 2Add the chopped mangoes, tomatoes, salt and cook for a minute or until it begins to sweat and turn mushy.
- 3Stir in the coconut milk. (I used coconut milk powder to make a thick coconut milk mixture, follow instructions on the milk pack). Add the sugar or jaggery. Bring it to a boil. Add coriander leaves and roasted cashews and serve hot with steamed rice.