On a lazy day this is one easy to go recipe. A popular punjabi dish, which has been around for ages and spells everything from easy, comfort, homely to healthy. This dish pops up when I need to take a break from a long non- veg food week or back to back festivities. The simplicity in making it gives me a break as well as to the tummy. And reason for stirring this up won't stop there as Kidney beans are an excellent source of plant based protein, rich in vitamins, minerals, fibers and anti oxidants. They also aid in weight loss and to moderate blood sugar levels. Lets get stirring!!
Step-1: In the pressure ooker,add ghee and the aromatic spices.
Step- 2: Add the chopped onions and Green chillies. S
aute till golden brown.
Step-3: Nicely caremelised onions.
Step-4: Add the Kasoori methi and Spice powders with a splatter of water followed by Ginger garlic paste. Tip in tomatoes with salt and saute till mushy. Add the Kidney beans with enough water and cook until tender and mash to touch. Add 1 tbsp butter for creamy texture.
Adjust seasoning and consistency as per liking. Add the coriander leaves and serve hot with a blob of butter!
- Basmati rice- 1 1/2 cup
- Kidney beans(rajma) - 1cup (soaked overnight) or( ready to eat can)
- Ghee- 2tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves-1
- Cardamom- 2
- Crushed coriander- 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick- 1/2 inch stick
- Crushed black pepper corns- 1/2 tsp
- Onions- 2(chopped)
- Tomatoes- 3 medium(chopped)
- Kasoori methi- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilly powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Green chilly- 2 slit(or more as per taste)
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves- Chopped handful
- Butter- 1 tbsp and more to blob on before serving
- 1In a pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp ghee, add all the aromatic spices, cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, crushed coriander and pepper corns. Add the green chillies, chopped onions and saute it till its golden brown and slightly caramelised. Now add Kasoori methi followed by turmeric, coriander powder, cumin pwder and red chilly powder, stir well. Add in the ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell is gone. (sprinkle water to avoid it from sticking to the bottom).
- 2Add the tomatoes and salt, and saute till it turns mushy. Add garam masala powder. Now drain the kidney beans and add it to the spice mixture in the pressure cooker.
Note: a) If you are using soaked Kidney beans you will need to pressure cook it for about 15-20 whistles with 2 cups water or until beans are cooked and get mashed between fingers
b) If you are using canned kidney beans, drain it and add it to the spice mix with 1 cup water and allow it to simmer for about 6-7 mins.
- 3Once cooked (add water as per desired consistency) add the coriander leaves, add 1 tbsp of butter(or more) to get a creamy texture.Stir.
- 4Top it up with a dollop of Butter and serve with boiled rice or Chapathi. Simple healthy comfort food ready!