Here is a treat for the non-vegetarians and vegetarians alike. When I tried it for the first time my family happily relished it mistaking it for meat keema. That’s how close it tasted like one! Though the key ingredient here is peas and some easily handy ingredients, the taste profile is however very rich and very veggie. Pair it with parathas/chapathi or just as a side with rice, it’s a winner anyways!
- Green peas(minced)- 300gm
- Potatoes (diced)- 5-6(small)
- Green chillies(chopped)- 2( more as per taste)
- Ginger (chopped)- 1 1/2” piece
- Onion(chopped)- 2
- Tomatoes(puréed)- 4 medium
- Ghee- 1/2 cup
- Kasoori methi- 1tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 1tsp
- Cumin powder- 1tsp
- Cloves (pounded)- 6
- Cinnamon powder- 1/2tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilly powder- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder- 3 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped- 2tbsp
- (Golden)Fried onions/ Birishta- 1tbsp(optional)
- 1Heat a pan and add 5tbsp of ghee. Toss the minced peas and allow to sauté until oil separates. This step is important as it adds aroma and eliminates the raw smell of peas.(I used frozen peas)
- 2In another pan heat 4 tbsp of ghee and sauté chopped onions along with chopped ginger and green chillies till light golden. Add crushed kasuri methi leaves. Sprinkle some water if the pan is dry to avoid burning of aromatics. Add ginger garlic paste and stir for a minute.
- 3Now sprinkle some water (at this point you can add some more ghee as per preference) and toss in the spices starting with turmeric, red chilly powder, cumin powder, pounded cloves, cinnamon powder, black pepper powder and coriander powder. Toss in the sautéed peas. Stir for a minute and add the tomato puree followed by diced potatoes. Add water as per desired consistency and salt to taste. Cook until potatoes done.
- 4Once cooked add the Garam masala powder. (you can add some crushed Birishta at this point) Stir and garnish with chopped coriander leaves on top. Serve hot along with paratha/ rotis. Bon appetite!