Dried cherries balance the tartness of the cranberries in this super-easy and super-good cranberry sauce. Great with turkey, but also wonderful on a cracker with a smear of triple cream cheese.
- 2.5 cups cherry cider or cranberry juice
- ½ pound dried cherries, about 2 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
- Zest from one half orange
- ¼ t ground cloves
- 1In a medium size pot, bring cider to a boil. Turn off, remove from heat and add cherries. Let cherries reconstitute in the hot juice for about 8 minutes.
- 2Add sugar, cranberries, zest and ground cloves. Return to heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium high and cook until the cranberry skins pop, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 3Transfer to a glass or plastic container and refrigerate for 4 hours or for up to 4 days. Sauce thickens as it cools.