This is by far favorite dish from Nigeria and one of the easiest and fasted soups to prepare. You can use any kinds of meat, fish or assorted meat and fish.
- Assorted meat and fish (precooked, keep the stock)
- 2 shrimp cubes or any of your choice
- 1/2 cup dried blended Ogbono
- 1 tbsp dried pepper
- 1/3 cup palm oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup blended crayfish
- 2 cups of frozen spinach or bitter leaf (i used more than 2 cups spinach because it is healthier)
- 1Set a medium sized pot on medium heat, add in the palm oil. When the oil is hot, add in the dried ogbono. With a cooking spoon continuously stir the mixture until you have a smooth paste.
- 2Incorporate the meat stock into the paste bits at a time and continuously stir, the mixture will get thicker as you stir. Continue until you have incorporated all the meat stock.
- 3Add in the precooked meat, cubes, pepper, crayfish and salt. combine
Simmer for 4-6 minutes or more.
- 4Add in the frozen spinach or the bitter leaf stir and leave it to simmer for another 10 minutes or until the spinach is well cooked. Remove from heat.
- 5Prepare the pounded yam according to the directions on the package.
- 6Serve your pounded yam with ogbono soup.