The festive season is here and it's raining desserts everywhere!! Looks like everyone is on a diet break. And here is a mix which I have grown up with. My mom's simple Badam milk powder can be put together in minutes and has a good shelf life. If it stays on the shelf for long that is!! It is not only a great healthy drink, to be served hot or cold, but also can be used to enhance the taste of sweet dishes like Gajar ka halwa, Rasmalai, Chirotti, sheer kurma, payasams, smoothies, Kulfis!! etc. It's a multitasker I say....It always comes handy in Indian sweet dishes. It's a savior!. I remember sneaking into the kitchen and devouring spoon fulls from mom's pet jar. She would always wonder how it got over so quickly and I would snicker. So mom, finally the cat is out of the bag! Mom.....I'm still snickering as I give it away from overseas. Phew!!
- Whole almond(with skin)- 1 cup
- Milk powder- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1 1/2cup
- Cardamom(cushed or powdered)- 1/2- 1 tsp
- Saffron- 1tsp
- Turmeric(optional for natural color)- 1/2 tsp
- 1In a grinder add the almonds with little sugar(4-5 tsp) and blitz 3-4 times at intervals. (avoid grinding continuously as it will release oils and turn into a paste). Remove in a mixing bowl once ground fine.
- 2Now add the milk powder, saffron, cardamom, turmeric powder and remaining sugar to the grinder and grind it, till fine.
- 3Once the mixture is fine, add the ground almond powder and blitz it again so that everything is nicely incorporated. Remove the almond milk powder mixture in the bowl and allow it to cool down completely before putting it in an airtight container.
- 4You can make Badam milk(almond milk) by adding 2tsp (or more for a richer taste) into 1 cup of warm milk. Serve hot or chill it for a nice cold Almond milk drink. You can freeze and make almond milk popsicles too!! Enjoy!!!