Classic Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 6 extra large potatoes, sliced thinly in rounds
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups whole cashews
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Parsley, black pepper + olive oil to garnish
- 1To prepare, heat the oven to 200 Celsius and generously oil a 9/13 baking pan (a classic lasagna pan is perfect). Start by sautéing the sliced onions in the tablespoon of olive oil for 6-8 minutes, until browning. Remove from heat and set aside. Wash and slice your potatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
- 2Blend the cashews, water, salt, oregano, garlic and olive oil until smooth – about 1 minute. Place a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the oiled pan and follow it with 1/3 of the onions. Pour 1/4 of the sauce over top and repeat the layers until you have 3 plus a 4th layer of potatoes to finish, and pour the remaining sauce on the top. Garnish with additional oregano and black pepper before cooking. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove the foil, (and add a few more tablespoons of olive oil if desired) and bake a further 20 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving, topped with freshly chopped parsley and more black pepper.