I generally make quiche during the cold season, but with so many zucchini growing in my garden I had to try this recipe.
The result was tasty and flavored, thanks to all fresh ingredients I've used: onion, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and yellow bell pepper, all picked directly from the garden. I added eggs, mozzarella cheese and just a few very thin slices of bacon to give it a smoked aroma.
However, if you're more into vegetarian meals during summer, this wonderful quiche will taste great even without the meat.
I like making my own dough with 300 grams of flour (270 all-purpose flour and 30 grams rye flour to color it a bit), 150 grams of butter and 6 spoons of ice water. If you're in a hurry, get some refrigerated pie dough from the supermarket and you'll save plenty of time and energy.
Using the ingredients listed bellow I had to bake everything in a 24 cm pie plate.
Try it and let me know how it was.
- 2 Zucchini ( about 160 grams)
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 1/4 Bell Pepper
- 2 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Carrot
- 100 grams Mozzarella Cheese
- 50 grams Smoked Bacon
- 2 Eggs
- Salt, Pepper
- 1Peel the potatoes and the carrot, cut them into medium cubes and let them boil in unsalted water for 10 minutes. Then rinse vegetables with cold water using a strainer.
- 2Preheat the oven at 180°C (356°F).
- 3Cut zucchini into slices, chop the onion and cut the bell pepper into small cubes. Cut the bacon into thin slices and the mozzarella into small cubes.
- 4In a large bowl combine the zucchini, the onion and the bell pepper with the half boiled potatoes and carrot.
- 5Add the mozzarella cheese, the bacon, and the 2 eggs, lightly beaten. Season with salt and black pepper.
- 6Mix all ingredients gently, then leave the filling inside the fridge until you prepare the dough.
- 7On a floured surface, roll the dough until it has the right dimensions to fit your pie plate. Then move it gently in the plate and fold or cut edges. Then make some small holes over its surface using a fork.
- 8Add the mix of vegetables, cheese, eggs and bacon.
- 9Bake for at least 40 minutes.