It was the first time I've ever cooked rhubarb. I planted one rhubarb in my garden last year, and now I can finally enjoy some of it. It's excellent, and it goes perfectly with strawberries. Tasty poetry in every bite, trust me.
Sweet and sour flavors mixed perfectly into a beautiful dessert, just in time to celebrate the beginning of summer.
If you're in a hurry, you can buy the dough from the supermarket, but if you wish to have a great pie, make yourself the paste from 400 grams of flour, 200 grams of butter, one tablespoon of sugar, one teaspoon of salt, and eight tablespoons of iced water. Start by mixing the flour with butter at room temperature, sugar, and salt, then gradually add the iced water to obtain a compact dough. Keep the mixture in the fridge for one hour before using it.
I added some frozen blueberries on top just because I had them in the freezer, but they're not necessary.
Please, leave a hart and a comment if you like my recipe. And don't forget to share the recipe with your friends :)
PS: The nutrition facts correspond to one slice (about 120 grams).
- Pie dough - 600-700 grams (for a 24 cm pie plate)
- Strawberries - 400 grams
- Rhubarb - 200 grams
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Orange - 1
- Cornstarch - 3 tablespoons
- Blueberries - 50 grams
- 1Zest half of the orange, then squeeze it to obtain 3-4 tablespoons of orange juice.
- 2Cut the rhubarb stalks into small pieces - about 1 cm long.
- 3Clean and cut the strawberries into quarters.
- 4In a large bowl, mix the rhubarb with the strawberries. Add the sugar and the orange zest.
- 5In a small cup mix the cornstarch and the orange juice, then add them on top of the fruits. Keep the mix in the fridge until you make the pie crust.
- 6On a floured surface, roll the dough until it has the right dimensions to fit your pie plate. It should be about 4-5 mm of thickness. Move it gently over the plate and fold or cut edges. Make some small holes over its surface using a fork.
- 7Add the mix of rhubarb and strawberries, and some blueberries on top, if you have them, then cover with the remainings of the dough. Sprinkle some granulated sugar on top.
- 8Bake at 180°C (356°F) for at least 50-60 minutes.
- Total Fat17 g26%
- Sat. Fat8 g40%
- Cholesterol20 mg7%
- Sodium230 mg10%
- Carbs46 g15%
- Fiber2 g8%
- Sugars20 g22%
- Protein3 g6%