Invented from the last of our provisions during our boating tour through the Bahamas, this quick and healthy dish is a perfect weeknight dinner. Zoodles are lightly sauteed and topped with a shrimp, mushroom and fresh tomato sauce.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 T butter, plus more if desired
- 2 T olive oil, plus more if desired
- ¼ pound shiitake or brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, deveined and tails removed
- 1 handfull fresh basil, chiffonnade
- 2 T grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- 1Make zucchini noodles using the 6mm blade (the largest blade with the triangular cuts). Set aside on a paper towel to drain while you make the sauce.
- 2Melt the butter and 1 T olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the mushrooms and saute for one minute, then add the garlic and saute together for 2 more minutes until the mushrooms have softened and released their liquid. Add one pinch of crushed red pepper and the tomatoes and continue to cook for about 4 minutes, until tomatoes just start to burst. Add the shrimp and cook until just done, about 3 minutes. Shrimp will turn pink. Do not over cook. If your sauce is a little dry you can stir in a bit more butter or olive oil.
- 3When the sauce is almost done, heat a second large non-stick skillet over high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the zucchini noodles, salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a squeeze of lemon juice. Cook quickly until noodles are soft, about 2 minutes, tossing frequently.
- 4Plate the zoodles, by lifting them from the pan using tongs and arranging them on two plates. By lifting the noodles out of the pan you avoid adding any excess liquid that the zoodles have released. Top the zoodles with the shrimp, mushroom and tomato sauce and garnish with basil and parmesan cheese.