Turkey hash is a good alternative to corned beef hash, packed with flavor and a huge pile of healthy vegetables. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner, especially when you top it with a poached egg.
- 2 turkey thighs, about 2½ pounds
- 2 t olive oil
- 2 russet potatoes, scrubbed (about 1 pound)
- 5 T unsalted butter, divided
- 1 onion, diced ( about a ¼ cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 2 t hot smoked spanish paprika, divided (Pimenton de la Vera)
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 T fresh thyme, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 eggs, poached (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat each turkey breast in olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Bake for 50 minutes, until done. Cool, remove skin and shred. Set aside.
- 2Cut potatoes into quarters and put in a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until not quite done. You should be able to pierce with a fork. Let cool, peel and dice into ½" cubes. Set aside.
- 3In a large hot skillet, melt 1 T of butter. Add onion, peppers and celery, and a half t of paprika on medium high heat and saute for 5 - 6 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Season with a pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper. Transfer cooked vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- 4In the same pan, melt another T of butter. Add shredded brussels sprouts, ½ t paprika, a pinch of cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes, until brussels sprouts are cooked and just begin to brown. Remove from pan and add to bowl of sauteed vegetables.
- 5In the same pan, melt 3 T of butter. Add diced potatoes and cook on high until brown and crispy, turning periodically as they crisp.
- 6When potatoes are done, reduce heat to medium and add brussels sprouts, sauteed vegetables and shredded turkey back to the pan. Toss together over medium low heat to heat through. Add one more teaspoon of Spanish paprika, thyme and lemon juice. Adjust salt and pepper.
- 7Serve on individual plates and top with a poached egg.