Crunchy, delicious, healthy and quick.These green beans are great last minute or prepared in advance. Perfect for home meals, potluck or picnics.
- ¼ cup sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
- 1.5 pounds of Chinese long beans or green beans, sliced in 1.5 inch pieces
- 2 thin slices red onion
- 2 T Spanish sherry vinegar (Jerez vinegar)
- 6 T olive oil
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
- 1Toast the almonds in a hot dry pan over medium high heat. Shake frequently taking care they do not burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2Bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the beans and boil for 5 minutes. While the beans are cooking prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Drain the cooked beans and immediately immerse them in the ice bath to stop the cooking process. Remove the beans from the ice bath and spread on a kitchen towel to dry. Make sure beans are as dry as possible before you toss them with the vinaigrette.
- 3In a bowl large enough to hold all the beans, pour in vinegar. Slowly whisk in olive oil to create an emulsion. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onions, beans, almonds and toss. Remove beans with tongs to serving bowl. Reserve any remaining dressing for another use.