This easy-to-make watermelon and tomato gazpacho is the perfect summer dish to get you through the heat, minimize your cooking efforts and feed you for a week. Watermelon gives this gazpacho an extra flavor burst and a little sweetness.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and sliced in half
- 1½ pounds seedless watermelon, rind removed and cut into 2
- ½ pounds tomatoes
- ½ large cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 T Jerez Spanish sherry vinegar (Plus more to taste)
- 1 t kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- Marcona almonds for garnish (optional)
- Goat or feta cheeses for garish (optional)
- 1Put the garlic and shallots in the food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Add tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and pulse until you achieve your preferred chunkiness or smoothness. Taste the gazpacho and and adjust the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate, preferably overnight, but at least until thoroughly chilled.
- 2When you are ready to serve the gazpacho, remove from the fridge, taste and adjust the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper again. Serve in individual bowls garnished with Marcona almonds and a sprinkling of crumpled goat or feta cheese.