Traditional ginger carrot Japanese salad dressing makes this salad light, healthy and delicious. You will find many uses for it, including serving it with salad, brown rice, steamed or stir-fried vegetables.
- ½ yellow or red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces lettuce, (Little Gem works particularly well) washed, dried and chilled
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 shallot
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1 t brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 t toasted sesame seed oil
- ½ cup mild olive oil
- 1Put onion slices in a bowl and cover with ice water. Put in the fridge to chill for 15 to 30 minutes while you make the rest of the salad.
- 2Put shallot, garlic, ginger and carrots in a food processor and whirl until finely minced.
- 3Add rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper and whirl again to combine.
- 4Add sesame seed oil and olive oil to create an emulsion. If your food processor has a feeding tube, stream the oil in while you whirl. If you don't have a feeding tube or you are using a blender, just add the oil and blend until combined.
- 5Put the lettuce on a platter, top with onion slices and surround with tomatoes. Add any other optional ingredients and drizzle with the dressing.