What’s better than a fresh bowl of salad on a hot day, or even to munch during the busy work hours. This orange and date salad recipe is easy to make and so so delicious!
If you want to take this salad with you to work in the morning you can slice the oranges and remove the piths a night before to save time. The dressing is as simple as it can get, just combine the fennel seeds, garlic, lemon, orange flower water, cinnamon, olive oil and salt and pepper.
For an appealing presentation begin with layering the salad with the leafy vegetables and then adding diced vegetables. Finally drizzle the dressing when its time to serve to make sure vegetables stay fresh and crisp.
- 4 large oranges
- 2 t fennel, toasted and crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 t orange flower water
- ½ t cinnamon
- 4 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 small head red butter or red curly leaf lettuce
- 4 Medjool dates, quartered lengthwise
- 6 breakfast radishes, thinly sliced
- 6 figs, quartered
- ⅓ cup red onion, thinly sliced.
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 small handful mint, chopped
- 1Prepare the oranges by using a sharp knife to first cut off the top and the bottom of the orange and then remove the rind and the pith. Work to get all of the pith off as it leaves a bitter flavor. You will be left with a "naked" orange. Slice the oranges into ¼" slices. Set aside or refrigerate while you prepare the salad. Oranges can be prepared several hours in advance.
- 2To make the dressing combine the fennel seeds, garlic, lemon juice, orange flower water and cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3In a large shallow bowl or platter begin to build the layered salad starting with the arugula and butter lettuce. Arrange the orange and radish slices, dates and onion on top of the lettuce. Garnish with chopped herbs and drizzle with dressing.